Now it’s time to build the children chairs! After some brainstorming (and a lot of head-scratching), I modified Ana White’s plans. Her plans call for 1×2 chair legs and slatted seats, but I wanted our children chairs to be a bit more sturdy, so I opted for 2×2 chair legs and one solid piece of wood for the seat (which would mean I’d have to notch out the back, but we’ll get to that later).
Nothing frustrates me more than crappy wood and furring strips are no exception. It’s next to impossible to find a good board. They’re usually bowed, nicked, scraped, or split (at least at my Lowe’s). You certainly get what you pay for, in this case. I knew I didn’t want to deal with the headache of splitting wood while building these children chairs, so I went hunting for alternatives. Another (albeit more expensive) option would be to purchase 2×2 poplar wood (like I used for the table legs), but they’re only sold at 36″ lengths and I wanted to keep costs down. Though I didn’t want to compromise on the quality of wood, I also didn’t want to overspend, but my options were running thin. That’s when the Hubs (aka my knight in shining armor) had a true lightbulb moment. He found these 2×2 treated mitered balusters. They’re made of Southern yellow pine and are sold in either 36″ or 42″ lengths. They’re usually used for building outdoor decks so they’re weather-treated and have a moulded finish on all 4 corners.
Here are my boards, once they were cut. These measurements vary from Ana’s plans because of my modification.
I used Ana’s plans as a guide, but ended up having to feel my way through this project because I had no idea what I was doing changed so many things. For one thing, she recommends using screws, glue, and nails, but because I’m more familiar with the Kreg Jig, I decided to use that instead. This meant figuring out where to drill all the pocket holes, and how to join each board together. In short, I was ‘winging it.’
And now to attach the seat to the frame. But first, I had to figure out where to notch out the back:
I filled all the pocket holes with paintable/stainable wood filler, then attached the seat with 1 1/4″ finish nails and wood glue.
Primed and ready for paint!
I decided to paint the table white (since I already had it on hand) and the children chair red. I found this strawberry color in the ‘oops’ paint section marked down to $1.57.
I used a 2″ angled brush to apply the paint, but used a roller just for the table top because I didn’t want to show brushstrokes. After 1 coat of primer, 2 coats of paint (light sanding in between coats), and 3 coats of satin polyurethane, here’s the final result.
This article comes from jenwoodhouse edit released